Nothing like a hearty salad that is good for you and explodes with flavor. Pomegranate seeds offer anti-oxidants that boost the immune system and are a rich source of vitamins A, C and E, as well as folic acid. Pink grapefruit gives another added bite and if you’re not a fan of blue cheese, try using feta cheese. This salad would also be very good if made with fresh spinach. The Pomegranate vinaigrette is healthy, light and lets the ingredients shine without overpowering them.
- 4 c. romaine lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
- 1 c. ruby red grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- ¼ c. blue cheese or Gorgonzola, crumbled
- ¼ c. walnuts, chopped
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Pom Pom Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
In a wood salad bowl, arrange romaine and grapefruit pieces. Add blue cheese, walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle pomegranate vinaigrette over salad. Grind fresh black pepper over salad. Serve!
Pom Pom Vinaigrette
- 1/4 c. balsamic pomegranate vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated fine
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 10 grinds freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
In a small glass bowl, add all ingredients except olive oil. Whisk in olive oil and pour over salad.
Cheers and happy cooking!