Soup is the ultimate comfort food for me. I always make a big batch of meatballs so I have extras in the freezer. This soup is quick and easy to put together and is very filling. For the Italian Meatball recipe, click here. You can make the meaballs a bit smaller so they fit on the spoon and they’re a perfect addition. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, stripped from stem
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano, stripped from stem
- 10 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 8 c. chicken stock
- 1 lb. frozen tortellini
- 1 lb. small Italian meatballs, precooked
- 1 pkg. (10 oz) fresh spinach, washed, stems removed and chopped
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onion, thyme, oregano, black pepper and bay leaf. Sauté until onion is softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and saute for one minute. Add wine and chicken stock and bring to just a boil. Reduce soup to simmer and add pasta and meatballs. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, just until pasta is al dente. Stir in fresh spinach and cook for 1 minute, until spinach is wilted. Garnish with basil leaves. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Serve with crusty bread and a dry white wine, such as Captain’s Walk Winery Chardonnay. Serves 8 to 12.
Cheers and happy cooking!